The success of an infrastructure project is dependent on effectively sharing model data with project stakeholders. While AutoCAD Civil 3D provides an excellent platform for creating project models, it includes only rudimentary means of sharing this data with others outside of a CAD environment. This is where Visual Report Designer comes in. With Visual Report Designer, you are able to quickly and easily create custom reports based on your model and drawing data. Creating a report is as simple as dragging and dropping fields from a list, and you are able to control virtually all aspects of the report appearance and behavior. Reports may be exported to PDF, XLSX, HTML, RTF, and many other formats, or inserted directly into your AutoCAD Civil 3D drawing.
Visual Report Designer will empower you to operate more efficiently by allowing you to shape and view your data in whatever way you require. For plans production work, this could mean generating tables automatically – one customer is using Visual Report Designer to do precisely this, reducing what was previously an 8-16 hour manual process to just 15-30 minutes while simultaneously reducing risk of error. In another case, Visual Report Designer is being used to increase productivity by automating the creation of specific point based utility data reports resulting in an annual savings of approximately EUR 20k per user.
Uses for Visual Report Designer
Uses for Visual Report Designer include:
- Point tables (including coordinate transformations)
- Alignment geometry tables, including HPMS horizontal geometry classification reports
- Parcel area tables (including summations)
- Legal descriptions from parcels and polylines
- Slope staking notes
- Quantity calculations (volumes, areas, distances and item counts are all possible for corridor data)
- Cost estimations
- Pipe network part listings
- Legends, title blocks, etc.
Productivity Increasing Features:
Visual Report Designer includes several features which significantly increase productivity for the end user, including:
- Report Wizard: select a report from a categorized list, modify settings and execute…
- Batch reporting mode: run multiple reports in a pre-determined sequence in a single ‘batch mode’ operation.
- Insert reports to layouts and automatically restrict results for each inserted report to an associated view frame
Advanced Features for Report Authoring:
Visual Report Designer includes many features for report authors to leverage to create richly formatted reports with virtually no limitations to content. Report content may include:
- Logos/static images may be included
- Dynamically generated CAD entity images
- Conditionally formatted data
- Custom numeric formatting
- Data grouping and sorting
- Summations, averages, minima/maxima across data groups
- Expressions may be used for custom calculations and can include logic
- Projections between entities (e.g. surface elevation at a point)
- Coordinate transformations
- Parameters may be used to obtain user input
- Boundary based querying of certain entities is possible (i.e. you may restrict results within a polygonal boundary)
- VB.NET/C# scripting may be used to create virtually any custom behavior, connect to external programs and databases (push or pull data), etc.
Visual Report Designer is available in two editions – Lite and Professional.
- Lite Edition: Includes all components for running pre-made report templates (created with the Professional Edition) – this allows end users to run reports, but not author new report templates.
- Professional Edition: Includes all features found in the Lite Edition, plus the Report Designer (authoring application), which allows you to author new report templates.
Both standalone and network licensing options are available, as are site/volume discounts. Please contact us if you require a network license and/or a large volume of licenses.
Customization and report authoring services are available – please contact us to discuss your requirements.