Having the right tool to do a job is paramount to achieving success. While there may be other ways to reach a goal, what you lose in efficiency and maintainability will often cost far more in the long run than simply getting the right tool in the first place. Corridor modeling is a prime example of this principle – while it may sometimes be possible to create a model which is ‘good enough’ using inferior or re-purposed subassemblies, you typically must make concessions such as unnecessary model complexity, additional modeling time, lower maintainability, or even acceptance of an incomplete or incorrect design. For those who could not accept such shortcomings, the only solution prior to Subassembly Studio was custom programming, which is often expensive and time consuming. With Subassembly Studio this is no longer the case – with it, you are now able to create exactly the right subassembly for any design, in many cases in less time than it might take to get a mashed up solution from an online help forum. What you create with Subassembly Studio is reusable across multiple versions of AutoCAD Civil 3D, so when it comes time to upgrade, you can be confident that your custom subassemblies can also be upgraded with ease. Subassembly Studio also allows you to create models that simply cannot be created with any other graphical authoring tool. In many cases this makes all the difference in completing a project on or even ahead of schedule.
Some of the key benefits of Subassembly Studio include:
- The ability to create custom subassemblies for a specific purpose – as needed, when needed.
- The ability to create custom subassembly logic – by building logic into the subassemblies, you make the process of building your models more efficient
- The ability to create these custom subassemblies with no prior programming knowledge or experience.
- A potentially staggering and quickly realized return on your investment (ROI) made possible by greatly increased efficiency in the project design process resulting from having exactly the right tool for the job.
Subassembly Studio is the first and by far the most advanced subassembly authoring platform available today. Some of its unique features include:
- A hybrid graphical model of your subassemblies that contains both geometric and logical data in a single entity – this enables you to quickly and easily visualize what each part of the subassembly does, and what part of the logic controls it, regardless of complexity. If you were to make a comparison to a mechanical drawing, a Subassembly Studio subassembly is represented much like an exploded view of a complex model, whereas other ‘composed’ subassemblies split the geometry and the logic into two separate representations thus making it difficult to reconcile geometry with logic in complex designs.
- Productivity tools such as the ability to ‘debug’ subassemblies to ‘step through’ the components one at a time or ‘break’ on a specific component to see the internal state of the model.
- Reusability of your subassembly designs: Subassembly Studio allows you to export subassemblies that will be compatible with different versions of AutoCAD Civil 3D from the same subassembly catalog file.
- RPN equation editing: for those familiar with the HP48 (and other) calculators that use ‘Reverse Polish Notation’, creating custom calculations (even conditional ones) will be a breeze with Subassembly Studio’s RPN Expression Editor feature.
- Subassemblies can be self-aware in that you can calculate quantities such as shape area, which can then be used to make a decision in the subassembly logic.
- Advanced earthwork modeling tools such as an automated material table based shape generator (you give it links and surfaces, it returns closed and categorized shapes).
- The ability to ‘invoke’ another subassembly as part of a larger, more complex subassembly design. This can even be done in a ‘repeat’ mode, allowing you to create subassemblies such as stacked block walls.
- Automated target entity acquisition allows you to automatically target all surfaces with a specific style, or all pipe networks with a particular name prefix.
- Multiple Target Parameters allow multiple target entities to be grouped in a collection and operated on as such (e.g. you could iterate over all subsurfaces in a collection to create a ‘rock bench’ cut slope, or you could automatically adjust a ditch width to fit a variable number of pipes).
- ‘Associative Components’ can automatically connect to other components (and bind compatible properties) to greatly simplify the process of creating subassemblies
- A special feature which allows for independently controlling superelevation for an infinite number of lanes using only standard AutoCAD Civil 3D superelevation features and no offset baselines.
- Approximately 200 geometric and logical components to use to create your subassemblies.
- Built-in intellectual property protection prevents unauthorized use of your subassemblies by others, yet you can still share your subassemblies with subcontractors as and when needed.
Customers worldwide have used Subassembly Studio to improve efficiency and make possible many projects, including:
- Rural and urban roads, including complex rehabilitation scenarios
- Airport runways
- Dikes/earth dams
- Heavy and light rail
- Roundabouts and intersections
- Pipe trenches
- Tunnels, including pseudo-elliptical tunnels with widening and superelevation
Subassembly Studio comprises two main components: the Subassembly Designer component for authoring, and a ‘Runtime’ component which allows your subassemblies to run in AutoCAD Civil 3D. The Subassembly Studio Designer includes both components for those customers who need to be able to author subassemblies; for those who simply need to run subassemblies authored by someone else, we also offer Subassembly Studio Runtime without the Designer. This arrangement allows multiple user offices to give authoring abilities to one or several employees, and allow everyone else to simply ‘use’ the subassemblies.
Both standalone and network licenses are available. For network licenses or volume discounts, please contact us.
Customization and subassembly authoring services are available – please contact us to discuss your requirements.